The original hills of coffee, Chikmagalur had been on my mind for years for its soothing climate, coffee estates and rich history. Yet, I couldn’t visit this serene hill town till last week. So, when Java Rain Resort, Chikmagalur invited me for the review of their newly opened property, I gladly accepted the invite and started planning my trip to Chikmagalur.
Chikmagalur is at a smooth drive of around 250 kms from Bengaluru and it took us 5 hours on a Friday evening. We reached the resort late night around 12:30 am and were received by the staff there who escorted us to our suite. To our amazement, the dinner in hotcase was kept in our room even at that hour and we hogged on the delicious food before retiring for the day.
—–ABOUT THE RESORT—–
The resort is tucked in the centre of an active coffee plantation spread over a huge area. The resort is the result of sheer love for world class hospitality and is owned by a Bengaluru based couple who have the most extraordinary restaurants in Bengaluru like 100ft, Boutique Bar Restaurant, India Nagar and Bay leaf, Kormangla in their kitty of success.
The credit for the astounding architecture of the resort belongs to Cadence architects. The unique towers at the reception to the quirky shape of the swimming pool to the seating area outside the Mirra restaurant overlooking the town of Chikmagalur to the exceptionally brilliant factoring of space and comfort in the villas and suites to the tall handsome structure of upcoming Crimson peak bar, the resort has it all what is needed to escape the taxing city life and rejuvenate from within.
There are 21 luxurious villas immersed so much so in coffee that their names are also based on coffee. The 3 different categories are called Kaffa – single villa with the open shower and a view of sky, Qahva – the interconnected twin villas with private jacuzzi and Fika – presidential suite with private pool, jacuzzi and magnificent view of the hills. I was offered the experience of Kaffa for a night and Qahva for another to experience both categories.
The rooms are adorned with lovely glass windows, classy interiors, fine details and a perfect relaxing deck area for your laid back book reading time. All the villas come with amenities like LED TV, coffee maker, minibar, toilet essentials, hair dryer and so many more. There is a vibe of flattering luxury and rejuvenation served at a platter as soon as you enter the rooms.
—–RESTAURANT & BAR—–
Mirra Restaurant : A lavish and delicious spread is served at the Mirra restaurant for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It is truly said that the place is known by its food and Java Rain resort served the best of authentic local food along with a huge variety of other cuisines as well. The restaurant overlooks the swimming pool on one side and on the other the luscious green valley and Chikmagalur town.
The Crimson Peak bar: A multi level bar with exquisite seating and most gorgeous views left me spell bound. It is still under final touch ups before it gets launched. I could climb many more levels of the bar for the bird eye’s view of the town, Mullayanagiri hills and the lake in its vicinity. The mist kept rolling down and played peekaboo with us before we could relish the sight of the entrancing hills.
Shvah Spa : When I say that the resort is about relaxing and rejuvenating, their spa needs a special mention to make that possible. The resort has specially trained masseuse with expertise in both Ayurvedic and Thai message.
Indoor and Outdoor Games: The resort is quite suitable for team building activities for corporate groups. There is basket ball, volley ball, carrom , table tennis and other board games to keep guests engaged.
Coffee Plantation walk: The resort offers a half an hour walk around their scenic coffee estate explaining the tit bits of growing coffee.
- The most pleasant and well-trained staff deserve all the credit of my great stay at the resort. Every one of the team from General Manager to Restaurant staff to Gardeners to House Keeping did not miss a chance to exchange greetings with us during our stay. All of them took every bit of care to make our stay absolutely delightful. No doubt the resort is ranked no. 1 on Tripadvisor as well
- The astounding architecture of the resort make it stand out and the lit resort can be seen from the town during night.
- The deck which comes with all the villas was my favorite spot where I spent time reading, introspecting and having some memorable conversations with R.
- Luxury and great coffee competed with each other but to my delight both went hand in hand eventually.
- A blissful weekend retreat where I whilst my time away in the lap of nature soothing my eyes with the views around, chilling in my private jacuzzi, reading a book and spending a memorable time with my love.
Places to see in Chikmagalur:
- Mullayanagiri Peak – The highest peak of Karnataka is sure to transport you to mystical world with mist floating around you and lush greenery accompanying you till the top.
- Baba Budangiri temple – Perched atop hill is a place dedicated to a smuggler saint who sneaked out 7 coffee beans and planted those in the fertile land of Chikmagalur. Then began the era of coffee in Chikmagalur.
- Galikere lake – A secret lake perched atop the hill whose source remains unknown and has a lot of theories around it. Gorge in the breathtaking views from the lake.
- Hebbe falls – The most stunning waterfalls in Chikmagalur with white foaming waters sliding by the mountain and making a perfect picture postcard.
Still looking for a weekend escapade? Plan your week with Java Rain Resort this weekend!